Israel Christian Nexus
The Israel Christian Nexus (ICN) was established as a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization in 2012 to bring Christians and Jews together in support of Israel. However, it originated years earlier in the heart of Gen. Shimon Erem (IDF – retired), who led the Nexus program until his passing in 2012.
The mission of the Israel Christian Nexus is to educate Christian and Jewish communities and the general population about the crucial role of Israel, the Jewish people and our shared Holy Scriptures to the values that are foundational to our freedoms and respect for life. ICN works to encourage relationships and joint initiatives by Christians and Jews in support of Israel, the Jewish people and our shared Judeo-Christian values.
The ICN is guided by a volunteer board of directors comprised of prominent Jewish and Christian clergy and community leaders, led by Dr. Robert Stearns, who serves as President. Dr. Stearns serves on a volunteer basis, with no expense accounts or other financial incentives
DR. ROBERT STEARNS
Dr. Robert Stearns is the founder and executive director of Eagles’ Wings, a dynamic ministry involved in outreaches and strategic projects around the world. Coming from a Christian background, he has become an influential leader in interfaith dialogue, with particular emphasis in Jewish/Christian relations. He delivered the keynote address, along with several Prime Ministers and Presidents, at the Inaugural Summit of Peace and Tolerance, a global forum on democracy hosted at the Presidential Palace in Kiev, Ukraine. He has also addressed the British House of Lords and most recently, Stearns was a participant alongside twenty other major interfaith leaders from across the US in New York University’s prestigious forum, “Religious Leadership, Civil Discourse and Democracy in the Public Square: Advancing the Positive Role of Faith Leaders in America.” Robert is also a recipient of the American Israel Friendship Award from the Bnai Zion Foundation. A native of Buffalo, NY, Robert received the Community Interfaith Commendation by the Town of Amherst, NY and the Western New York Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo.
GEN. Z”L SHIMON EREM
The vision and inspiration for the Israel Christian Nexus come from the late Israeli GENERAL SHIMON EREM (of blessed memory), who led the Nexus program until his passing in 2012. A hero and friend to world leaders and to Jews and Christians in the U.S. and internationally, Gen. Erem played a crucial role in the founding and survival of the modern State of Israel, commanding troops in Israel’s War of Independence, the Sinai crisis, the Six Day War and the Yom Kippur War and dedicating his later years of to building bridges between the Jewish and Christian communities. It was his belief that collaboration between these faith communities was essential to ensure the survival of Israel and the Jewish people, and to defend Christians and Jews in the Middle East, the U.S. and around the world against the threat of radical Islam.
- Development and distribution of educational materials to churches, synagogues and religious schools;
- A speakers exchange program that arranges for Jewish leaders to speak at churches and Christian schools, and for pastors to speak at synagogues and Jewish community activities;
- Identifying specific projects that will meet practical needs for all people living in Israel – Jewish, Christian and Muslim — for Christian support and involvement
- Organizing community solidarity events, and conducting conferences and workshops on Israel, Zionism and Judaism;
- Serving as a resource for Christian and Jewish groups on issues facing the Middle East today and on the escalating threat posed by fundamentalist Islam to Judeo-Christian values and democratic societies;.
- Empowering the next generation of articulate supporters and advocates for the State of Israel.